Minestrone Soup Servings: 4
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups fat-free, unsalted chicken broth
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1 can (16 ounces) canned chickpeas or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery and carrots and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for another minute.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, spinach, beans and pasta.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in the basil.
- Ladle into individual bowls and serve immediately.
For more High Fiber recipes, visit mayoclinic.com.