Quinoa and Pomegranate Salad Servings: 8
- 2/3 cup quinoa (makes about 2 cups cooked)
- 2/3 lb. asparagus
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dill
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, green part only, optional
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice from Meyer lemons *(alternatively 1/4 cup lemon, 1/4 cup orange juice)
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds, divided (use 1 large pomegranate)
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Drain and cool.
- Steam whole asparagus for 3 minutes or until bright green. Remove from pan immediately, drain, and let rest on plate with ice cubes. Slice diagonally into 1/4-inch pieces.
- In large bowl, combine quinoa, asparagus, carrots, parsley, mint, dill, walnuts, and cilantro and scallions if using.
- In a separate bowl mix olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Toss with quinoa mixture and then add 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds.
- Serve as is for buffet or plate each serving over 1 cup baby lettuces. Garnish with remaining pomegranate seeds.
For more cancer fighting recipes, visit the American Institute of Cancer Research, aicr.org.