Mediterranean Seafood Stew Serves: 4
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium rib of celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 12 ounces cod or other mild white fish fillets, rinsed and patted dry, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the celery, carrot, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes, or until soft, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes with liquid, tomato paste, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, still on medium high.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender, with no crispness remaining.
- Stir in the zucchini. Cook for 3 minutes, or until almost tender-crisp.
- Stir in the fish. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or just until it flakes easily when tested with a fork.
For more Low Cholesterol recipes, visit heart.org.