Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger Serves: 4
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps, 5 inches in diameter (about 12 ounces total)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 whole-wheat buns, toasted
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices red onion
- 2 bibb lettuce leaves, halved
- Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth and remove their stems. Place in a glass dish, stem (gill) side up.
- To prepare the marinade, in a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, cayenne pepper and olive oil.
- Drizzle the marinade over the mushrooms.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for about 1 hour, turning mushrooms once.
- Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.
- Grill or broil the mushrooms on medium heat, turning often, until tender, about 5 minutes on each side. Baste with marinade to keep from drying out. Using tongs, transfer the mushrooms to a plate.
- Place each mushroom on a bun and top with 1 tomato slice, 1 onion slice and 1/2 lettuce leaf. Serve immediately.
For more High Fiber recipes, visit mayoclinic.com.