Apple Dumpling (Serves: 8)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons brandy or apple liquor
- 6 large tart apples, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Zest of one lemon
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine butter, honey, flours and oats in food processor. Pulse a few times until mixture looks like a fine meal.
- Add brandy or apple liquor and pulse a few more times until mixture starts to form a ball.
- Remove mixture from food processor, wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for two hours.
- Mix apples, nutmeg and honey. Add lemon zest. Set aside.
- Roll out refrigerated dough with extra flour to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 8-inch circles. Use an 8-cup muffin tin and lightly coat the muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Lay a circle of dough over each lightly sprayed cup. Push dough in gently.
- Fill with apple mixture. Fold over sides and pinch at top to seal.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 F, until golden brown.
For more High Fiber recipes, visit mayoclinic.com.