Wild Rice with Dried Apricots and Pistachios Serves: 6
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add wild rice, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook at a lively simmer until the grains are tender and starting to split, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Drain in a fine sieve.
- Shortly before the wild rice is ready, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add bell pepper, garlic and cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add apricots, orange juice, salt and pepper; simmer until the apricots have plumped and the liquid has reduced slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the wild rice. Remove from the heat and stir in scallion greens.
- Serve topped with chopped pistachios.
For more heart healthy recipes, visit diabetes.org.