Tuscan-Style Grilled Chicken Kebobs Serves: 4
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, all visible fat discarded, cut into 16 cubes
- 16 whole button or crimini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce each) ends trimmed
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 16 pieces
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch squares
- In a medium nonmetallic bowl, stir together lemon zest, lemon juice, rosemary, oil, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Add chicken, stirring to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. The chicken can marinate for up to 8 hours for even more flavor. Turn several times if marinating for more than 30 minutes.
- Soak eight 8-inch wooden skewers for at least 10 minutes in cold water to keep them from charring, or use metal skewers. Preheat the grill on medium high.
- Drain the chicken and discard the marinade. Alternately thread the chicken, mushrooms, bell pepper and tomatoes on the skewers. Lightly spray all sides with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and tomatoes to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice. Reduce the heat and simmer, cover, for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, grill the kebabs for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (8 to 12 minutes total), or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the vegetables are tender. Serve with the rice on the side.
For more Heart Healthy recipes, visit heart.org.