Bacon Mushroom Mac and Cheese Serves: 8
- 6 oz. whole-wheat corkscrew pasta
- 3 slice turkey bacon, cooked to package instructions, diced
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 clove minced, fresh garlic OR 2 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. salt-free, dried herbs, Italian blend, (divided)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp. grated, low-fat parmesan cheese
- 1 cup low-moisture, part-skim-fat mozzarella, shredded
- 3 Tbsp. "panko" bread crumbs (whole wheat, if available)
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Boil pasta according to package directions, omitting oil, butter and salt. Reserve ¼ cup pasta water after pasta is done cooking.
- Cook turkey bacon in microwave according to package directions, cool slightly and roughly chop.
- In medium size pot heat 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil over medium low heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until onions are soft, but not brown. Add mushrooms, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning and pepper, cook for 2 minutes, add water and cook 2 more minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, mozzarella and parmesan. Add yogurt mixture, pasta water and pasta to mushroom mixture and stir to combine all ingredients. Remove from heat and transfer to oven safe 8x8 or 9x13 dish. Combine breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning and 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle evenly over the top of mac and cheese. Bake for 10 minutes and serve.
For more Heart Healthy recipes, visit American Heart Association at heart.org.