Published: April 26, 2021
When you have back pain, you want relief – fast!
According to the American Chiropractic Association, more than 30 million Americans suffer from low-back pain. It is often due to posture, level of activity, as well as stress, and emotional tension over time. But most back and neck pain is acute (short term), and is likely triggered by a specific movement.
You may think the best remedy is prescription pain medications (or if chronic, surgery). But before taking drastic measures for back pain, consider alternative therapy. Your back, neck, and joint pain are the primary reasons for seeking alternative care, such as acupuncture or chiropractic care.
- Chiropractic care is a hands-on, holistic approach to healing through adjustments (applying short thrusts) on the spine to and other joints to restore function and relieve pain
- Acupuncture is the insertion of thin needles through your skin at strategic points on your body and is most commonly used to treat pain, as well as overall wellness
WHA refers to these health benefits as Complementary and Alternative Care (CAM) and offers it through our partner, Landmark Health. Your WHA health plan may include both chiropractic care and acupuncture, when medically necessary. You will want to check your copayment summary to confirm coverage, cost, and the number of visits annually that are included in your plan for these benefits. Learn more by visiting our CAM web page to view your specific plan benefits to confirm coverage. You may also call Landmark Health directly at 800.298.4875.
Tips for a healthy back:
- Maintain strong abdominal muscles
- Move gently (try yoga – or see what’s available through our CommunityFIT program)
- Try to get 30 minutes of moderate activity every day
- Keep a natural curve of your back when you sit (and don’t sit too long)